Halloween is an exciting time for children and adults! With so much to do, safety can often be an afterthought during this frantic holiday. Think ahead and prepare now to make sure your little Lilo or Stitch stays safe this Halloween.
Trick-or-Treating Safety Tips
1. Make sure your kids have a flashlight on them while trick-or-treating. Advise them to walk from house to house – do not run!
2. Test any makeup in a small area on their skin just in case they might have an allergic reaction. Remove it before bedtime to prevent possible skin and eye irritation.
3. Advise them to look both ways before crossing the street and use crosswalks whenever possible.
4. Don\’t let them wear decorative contact lenses; they can cause serious eye injuries.
5. Tell kids to walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic. Stay safe!
6. Make sure they wear well-fitting masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips and falls.
7. Ensure they only eat factory-wrapped treats. Avoid homemade treats made by strangers.
8. They should only enter homes if they\’re with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit houses and never accept rides from strangers.
9. Make sure they have fun!
Expecting house guests?
1. Provide healthy treat options! Sugar rushes are a common occurrence on Halloween.
2. Plan party games for kids to ensure they get their daily dose of physical activity.
3. Keep candle-lit jack-o-lanterns away from doorsteps, walkways and curtains. Place them on sturdy tables and keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
4. Remind drivers to drive with caution and watch out for trick-or-treaters.
Have a safe Halloween!
Your ohana at Mountain West