Summer months bring powerful gusts of wind and pounding hail in the Colorado region. Although damage is usually inevitable, there are steps you can take to minimize damage to your property and protect your personal safety. Don't wait for the storm to come to you before taking action. Plan ahead by following these steps:
- Create a Plan of Action: As you prepare your plan, tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities. Use this resource to build your Emergency Plan for you and your family: Make A Plan
- Build an Emergency Kit: After a large disastrous storm, you may need to survive on your own for several days. Being prepared means having your own food, water and other supplies to last for several days. A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency. Use this resource to determine what should be in your emergency kit: Build A Kit
- Maintain Your Trees and Shrubs: It is best to keep trees healthy with regular fertilization, mulching, soil tests and watering.
Prune and trim trees to avoid broken branches that can fall on your home and landscape. For trees with poor branch structure, utilize a certified Arborist to help support your tree with cabling and bracing or stakes. Healthy trees will always adjust to changes in the climate and seasonal storms better than trees that have not been well cared for throughout the year.
- Locate the safest place in your home: Once you're indoors, close all drapes, blinds or shades to prevent broken window glass and hailstones from entering your home. If possible, move to a basement, cellar or other level of the building not directly below the roof. Stay indoors until the storm has passed.
- Stay away from windows & doors during a storm: Although it is tempting to watch the storm, it is best to avoid any windows and doors that can break, swing open or let in hail and debris.
- Review your insurance policy: Before a problem occurs, it is best to understand your insurance policy and what is covered when it comes to a storm. We recommend you sit down with your agent and understand the process and what you are covered for so you know what to expect if a storm comes through. Find your agent here.
360 Insurance is dedicated to your safety and well-being. Don't wait until it is too late... do your best to prepare for the severe weather ahead.